Pro Bono Opportunities
As a pro bono attorney with CFR, you will get the chance to make a real difference in the lives of children and families in New York City and throughout the country. Whether working directly on an appeal or weighing in on policy reform, CFR offers a unique professional environment. In this cutting edge, interdisciplinary practice, you will find lawyers, social workers, and former defendants working closely together in an area of family law that is still largely misunderstood by the public.
Law firms that have assisted with pro bono work include Proskauer Rose, Sidley Austin, Leader & Berkon, Cantor Fitzgerald, and Skadden, Arps.
For more information about how to support CFR with pro bono services, contact Maura Keating at [email protected].
Pro bono projects can include the following:
- Writing and arguing a final appeal on behalf of a CFR client.
- Reviewing an appeal and participating in a moot session to help prepare a staff or pro bono attorney for an appellate argument.
- Reviewing and helping to draft proposed legislation impacting the families we serve.
- Work with our Executive staff on policy ‘white’ papers.
- Practice memos and legal research to enhance our practice and training materials (i.e. ethical issues involved in working with a client who suffers from a mental illness).
- Client specific work to pursue discreet administrative remedies (for example, to help a parent wrongly accused expunge a maltreatment registry record).
- Researching and providing CFR leadership and staff with advice on ad hoc contract and personnel issues.
- Researching and providing guidance on various fundraising initiatives such as estate/trust law and grant writing.